ECG Health HUD


This is my design for the a sci-fi third person shooter HUD. I decided to go online and search for game screenshots. I found this and decided to create a HUD with no context or ideas about mechanics. I wanted to focus purely on the aesthetics of my design working with the aesthetics of the game. I included the key display elements:

Player Health Bar

The player health bar shows how much damage the player has taken so far. I decided to create a bpm/ecg monitor as the health bar in this game. In the upper left, I created fading heartbeat waves along the bar and provided a number readout for the health points out of 100 (maximum health). In a real game, the beats would become faster and more strained the lower the player's health.

Ammo

As seen in the screenshot, the player character is holding a pistol in their right hand. Keeping an eye on ammunition is vital to winning shooter games so a readout on this is key. On the lower right, I included the currently equipped gun along with the ammunition it takes so the player can differentiate when picking up loot. I included the number of remaining magazines with a maximum of 6 in the inventory. I also included remaining grenades; while these can't be seen on the screenshot, I used a little creative freedom here as everyone enjoys explosives in gaming! Beneath this I added the number of remaining bullets in the current magazine with a number readout for quick reading during fights.

Abilities

In the screenshot, the player character is using their left hand to wield a spell or ability. Special skills normally work on a cooldown to prevent the player from being too overpowered. In the lower left, I included a timer for the 'shatter effect' as I call it. This includes a circular clock timer around the skill symbol, along with a number readout for quick reading during fights. 

I also created a target on the enemy in the screenshot as I imagine the 'shatter ability' would need to be aimed at a specific enemy in order to be effective.

Comments